Friday, May 11, 2012

I Hope That The Galaxy S III Sells A Gazillion Units

Inspired by nature, designed by lawyers.
I'm not a big fan of the new Samsung Galaxy S III. I'm disappointed with the screen, its materials, its design; I'm disappointed with everything but the performance.

That said, I still hope that it sells a gazillion units. There has been much speculation that the Galaxy S III looks as it does to get around the bat-shit-fucking-ridiculous lawsuits being thrown at Samsung by Apple. This seems likely. And if that's the case, I would love, love, love it if the S III sold a trillion units. Every adult on the planet should buy one thousand of them. Give Apple a huge screw you.

Of course, this is only one example out of nearly countless examples of patents and copyright being used to suppress innovation and destroy competitors. Microsoft and Apple are going bonkers. Microsoft earns more money from Android than their own still-born Windows Phone. Oracle is suing Google and just received a luke-warm verdict in their favor... so they're going for a hail-mary lawsuit in the hopes of extracting more blood money from The House of G.

It's disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

While there are many reasons to not buy products from many companies, their behavior vis-a-vis innovation and the free market sticks out, for me. If your company makes a habit of using patent laws to sue other companies, you can rest assured that you will receive no money from me. Apple, fuck off. Microsoft, take a long walk off a short pier.

I've never been an advocate of open source (most of it sucks), but I'm getting there.

No comments: