Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fuck You And Your Manly Men

I hate gender stereotypes. I hate masculinity and femininity. I hate the nebulousness of it all. And, most importantly, if you want men to be MEN, and conversely demand similar things from women, I hate you.

I've talked about it before, and here it is again. Shocker(!), this complete garbage is being spewed by someone who fashions herself a "conservative." I mentioned that these ideas are nebulous, and Katherine Miller does nothing to bestow clarity on the subject. She simply embraces facile, insulting ideals and runs with them. As you would expect, a good chunk of society's ills can be explained by men not being manly enough, oh, and skinny jeans.

Fuck you. I am who I am. If I'm a man and I want to wear make-up and dance to Lady Gaga, THAT'S MY FUCKING BUSINESS. Idiots such as these seem, to me, to be embracing 300 like it's actually tenable. Rock Hudson, James Dean, and Alexander the Great were all fudgepackers. The bouncers dressed as Dorothy at a gay club could easily kick the shit out of you and your entire cavalcade of conservative friends.

So don't give me this bullshit about indecisiveness and mamby pamby feelings being what actually annoys you. You want Pa, smoking a pipe, working his job, mowing the lawn, and grilling on weekends. You've got nothing concrete. Because anything concrete can be said of both men and women (because we're all people!). No, you want the same arbitrary differences that allow you to fantasize about being a sitcom from the early 60's.

Fuck you. Happiness, no matter how I achieve it, is good. You can take your comical ideals and shove them so far up your ass that you puke out Donna Reed.

2 comments:

Jess said...

I'm late in seeing this, but I agree. I'm surrounded by people like this and it's a bitch to kick them out of my life because they really are poisonous.

It's true that they don't have to insult people that are different from them but hey, you offended their sensibilities and beliefs so to hell with you. It's strange because although I don't like traditional gender roles I won't stop/criticize others for choosing to live their lives by them. It's just not for me. Yet it seems many of them can't extend this same courtesy to me. This attitude doesn't really make any logical sense; you're not hurting them in any way so it's very immature. It's good to know someone else feels the same way about this though.

Aaron Martin-Colby said...

Jess,

Unfortunately, they do not extend that same courtesy because of the nature of their beliefs. Unlike you or me, where our ideas about gender and societal "right" and "wrong" do not play a large role in our concept of identity and self, it does for these people. Thus, people who flout these concepts are effectively saying "you are wrong and stupid."

This insults these people and they respond by saying that their self identity is the right one, and the flipside of the coin, your identity is the wrong one.

It's yet another reason why I dislike simplistic concepts of self identity. It primes people to act like this.

We see it in religion, in political affiliation, nationalism, and in rigid conceptions of society and its constituents. And in people like this woman, we see all of them together.

Christianity is the right religion, true Americans are Republicans, and men are men, women are women, and children are children. It's insipid.